Sasol is an international integrated chemicals and energy company that leverages technologies and the expertise of more than 30,000 people working in more than 30 countries. We develop and commercialize technologies, and build and operate world-scale facilities to produce a range of high-value product streams, including liquid fuels, chemicals and low-carbon electricity.
In North America, Sasol is building a world-scale petrochemical complex and already has operations in Arizona, Louisiana, Pennsylvania and Texas. Collectively, these sites employ a workforce of approximately 1,500 people and manufacture the primary ingredients in detergents, personal care products, waxes and specialty products used as abrasives, catalysts, thickeners, ceramics and more.
Based in Johannesburg, South Africa, Sasol is listed on the New York and Johannesburg stock exchanges.
Sasol (USA) Corporation has an opening for a Product Safety Coordinator. This position reports to the Product Safety Regulatory Affairs Manager and is located in Houston, Texas or Lake Charles, LA. Below are details of the position requirements:
This position must provide SAP EH&S and regulatory support to the Regulatory Affairs team and Toxicologists. Operational lead on product safety systems for data consistency and system efficiency. Work directly with Product Safety Specialist to support SERC implementation. This includes all aspects of SAP EH&S for data management, classification, generation and release of documents. Author and distribute SDS, labels, and ERIs. Assist with special projects and regulatory reports required for compliance and Responsible Care. Serve as an ISO auditor. Limited travel.
Key interfaces include: Product Safety, R&D, Customer Service, Information Management and external customers, external vendors associated with product safety systems.
* Provide technical support for OSHA Hazard Communication and GHS compliance:
* SAP EH&S and SERC implementation
* Expert knowledge of OSHA Hazard Communication Standard and other Global Harmonized Systems (GHS) for the classification and labeling of chemicals. Ability to classify all chemicals, mixtures, and UVCB substances.
* Authoring of Safety Data Sheets (SDS), labels and other regulatory documents using SAP EH&S
* Ensure hazard communication information (i.e., SDS, ERI, Label) is distributed to internal and external customers
* Support PS Specialists with regulatory interpretations and identifying appropriate chemical descriptions from a regulatory perspective (e.g. EPA nomenclature)
* Support departmental projects to prepare and submit product notifications and registrations (domestic and globally). Develop procedures to ensure data integrity and management for hazard assessments and regulatory reporting.
* Hazard rating determinations applicable to HMIS and NFPA
* Working knowledge of EPA TSCA Section 5 and 8 regulations/laws. Must be familiar with uploading data into EPA CDX system
* Data maintenance of Product Safety electronic data files to ensure accurate safety, environmental and regulatory information is provided to customers. Respond to customer questionnaires and surveys by gathering relevant information from different departments.
* Daily monitoring of Federal Register for new and amended regulations affecting OSHA and EPA compliance. Provide updates and regulatory changes to the US Regulatory Affairs team. Provide regulatory interpretations to customers as directed by management.
* Interface with Global Product Safety and other departments to ensure consistency and alignment with company initiatives. Interact frequently with Toxicologist, R&D, Market Development, Supply Chain, Customer Service, and Information Management.
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
* BS degree (Chemistry or related field)
* 1-3 years of experience in the related industry
* Knowledge of US OSHA and EPA TSCA regulations
* High level computer skills (Microsoft Office, SAP EH&S & SERC, database management)
* Good communication skills (oral and written); ability to work cross-culturally
* Good organizational skills; balance multiple task
* Willingness to learn new tasks
* Attention to detail
Location: Houston, TX
Sasol (USA) Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, as well as any other characteristic protected by applicable law, regulation or local ordinance. For more information about your rights under the law, see
Sasol treats work-authorized job applicants equally in recruiting and hiring without regard to their citizenship status or national origin unless required by law, regulation, executive order, government contract, or determination by the Attorney General. Please note Sasol will not sponsor, obtain, and/or petition for temporary visa status (for example, E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN) for candidates for this position and/or personnel hired for this position.
We are not accepting unsolicited resumes from 3rd party recruitment agencies, therefore we will not a pay a fee for resumes submitted.
Associated topics: climate, compliance, diligence, ehs, health, health and safety, osha, recycling, safety specialist, sewage