Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030Category:
Full-Time Posted Date:
March 7, 2019 Work Shift:
M - F
The primary purpose of the Biomedical Technician II position is to provide and demonstrate technical support for general medical equipment, physiological monitoring, surgical equipment, and conduct safety inspections for the institution and to meet regulatory guidelines through the analysis, maintenance, calibration, installation, and upgrades on assigned medical and other electronic equipment. This position works under moderate supervision of a BMETIII/BMET Lead or Clinical Engineer and conducts work, provides records, and maintains a database of scheduled maintenance, corrective maintenance, and safety testing in accordance with manufacturer, regulatory, and department guidelines.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Interacts with others in a supportive, respectful manner.
2. Listen to feedback and input carefully, demonstrate attention to others, and acknowledge and listen to different perspectives in a group.
3. Communicate with customers to obtain access to equipment and to resolve equipment issues.
4. Participates in projects such as inspections and installation of new medical equipment as assigned.
5. May be assigned responsibility to independently complete portions of projects or equipment installations.
1. Consistently meets regulatory and department guidelines, such as PM compliance. PM compliance for assigned medical equipment at a minimum of 95%, and life support equipment at 100% for each month. Consistently meets departmental goal for Open Repair Cases Average (OCA).
2. Works with hospital departments and communicates the status of repairs and ensures minimal equipment downtime.
3. Coordinates outside support activities with vendors and clients to obtain completion of equipment support activity and ensures all activities are documented.
4. Support Medical equipment pre-purchase evaluations that are consistent with knowledge and experience at the request of the Clinical Engineer,
5. Demonstrates high service standards, such as responding in a timely manner to customer requests, and identifying and anticipating customer requirements, expectations, and needs.
1. Document all equipment support activities performed in database completely, accurately, and on time as per established guidelines.
2. Troubleshoots, maintains, and repairs all assigned patient medical equipment as per manufacturer established specifications.
3. Demonstrates solid technical skills in analyzing, calibrating, and installing assigned medical equipment.
4. Demonstrates knowledge of regulatory guidelines and hospital policies and procedures that govern Biomed equipment support activities.
5. Utilizes tools and test equipment appropriately. Keeps an inventory of assigned tools and test equipment.
6. Maintains safe and clean workplace environment. Demonstrates knowledge and behaviors related to environmental, employee, or patient safety requirements.
1. Manages time effectively to meet established department guidelines.
2. Utilizes department resources and supplies efficiently.
3. Consistently meets productivity goal of 75% of worked hours that are documented in the CMMS
1. Evaluates and recommends new ideas that improve medical equipment quality, safety, and service
2. Participates in Annual Technical Competency to establish future training needs.
3. Provides Nursing In-service on equipment operational issues to reduce Use Errors while improving patient quality of care.
4. Demonstrates adaptability and flexibility in the face of changing demands, and displays initiative to improve relative to job function.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Associate Degree in Biomedical Technology (BMET), Electronics Engineering or related field OR successful completion of Military BMET training.
3 years of experience in maintaining electronics, electromechanical or medical equipment
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Effective Knowledge of basic computer hardware and software use. Knowledge of TJC, DNV, FDA, AAMI, NFPA, ECRI, and AHA standards and practices. Skilled in the use of standard and specialized test equipment and tools used for the maintenance of clinical equipment.
Effective knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite 2010
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor - priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodistis consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's \"\"Best Hospital\"\" list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of \"\"100 Best Companies To Work For\"\" since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Company Description:At Houston Methodist, we take our responsibility as the region's premier health care system seriously.
With a national reputation for excellence in patient care, education and research, we hold ourselves - and the careers we build - to a higher standard. We invite you to find your place among the best of the best, and to stand with us in earning the trust of millions of people across the Houston Metro area every day.
Houston Methodist is comprised of a nationally recognized academic medical center and six community hospitals with a history of health care innovation. For the tenth straight year we have been named to FORTUNE
's list of \"100 Best Companies to Work For\" and have also been ranked the no.1 hospital in Texas by U.S. News & World Report
.Discover the difference for yourself and join Houston Methodist.
Associated topics: assembler, coiler, manufacturing, operational staff, pharmacy technician, repair, service porter, technical, technician, technician laboratory