The Role You will report to the Data Center Manager, and internally your title will be Manager, Facility Engineering. Reporting to you will be a team of five contract Engineers, most of whom have been with us at least four years. You'll be the technical lead for all data center engineering operations at this property, and will be responsible for the review, approval and implementation of SOPs/MOPs/EOPs for the site and the proper implementation and training of these procedures. Quick question for you - click here
Key responsibilities will include:
- Working in conjunction with the site remote hands, security, and janitorial teams.
- Assuming accountability for the coordination and completion of all significant planned and emergency maintenance events for the facility, and confirming these activities are executed in a controlled and proven method to ensure the reliability of the critical loads supported by these systems.
- Identifying, evaluating, and executing operational strategies with the local site engineers to achieve the highest level of availability.
This is just a sampling of your activities. You will:
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.Requirements
- Execute all aspects of data center engineering including the operation, maintenance and repair of all mission critical equipment and systems supporting a 24x7 data center operation to achieve 100% uptime and 100% compliance with all customer SLAs.
- Supervise all MEP construction activity and installations, in coordination with internal and external construction resources, to ensure system design, installation and testing adhere to operational standards. Witness testing of all equipment during commissioning and validate sequence of operations and receipt of all operational documentation.
- Develop and supervise the engineering team to ensure adherence to standard operating procedures, sequence of operations and maintenance standards to guarantee execution of Digital Realty's periodic maintenance program and maintenance calendar and to ensure labor cost are closely monitored and controlled, and personnel efficiency is enforced.
- Act as executor in the site-specific change management processes including the creation and review of all method of procedures (MOPs) for all risk level maintenance and repairs including high risk and non-standard procedures as well as the oversight of those maintenances.
- Act as executor of walk-throughs for high risk critical transferring and to act as a resource for staff questions/confusion regarding any facility related issue.
- Troubleshoot site mechanical and electrical systems.
- And more.
The Requirements To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Chief Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- 5+ years of related facility management experience in data center operations (or related large-scale mission critical environments).
- Solid and proven experience in the construction, commissioning, acceptance and operation of mission critical systems, including state-of-the-art electrical distribution systems, static and rotary UPS, HVAC systems, chillers, emergency standby generation, fire alarm/suppression and monitoring systems. Quick question for you - click here
- Strong understanding of infrastructure redundancy configurations and equipment and their risks (N+1, 2N, ATS/ STS, failover scenarios).
- Proficiency in reading/understanding MEP drawings.
- Experience assisting with budget management and expense analysis.
- Experience interacting with third-party vendors.
- Strong knowledge of PLC theory and functionality.
- Strong knowledge of energy efficiency principals and the ability to recommend energy efficiency improvements.
- Basic understanding of emergency situations and escalation processes.
- Strong understanding of computerized maintenance management systems (CMMS), data center infrastructure management (DCIM), and power metering systems.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
Just as important will be the following competencies and characteristics:
- Leadership qualities.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to determine and address root causes.
- Solid interpersonal, presentation and communication abilities.
- A detail orientation and strong organizational skills.
Preferred but not required:
- Experience managing data center operations teams. At minimum you should have experience in lead roles.
- Knowledge of structured cabling systems, networking and connectivity standards, and hardware installation requirements.
- Proficiency in colocation operations, including the installation and deployment of cage, rack and cable infrastructure, as well as power circuit installation and power monitoring.
- Experience with AutoCAD, Adobe Acrobat, ServiceNow, MS Project and/or Visio is a plus.
- A bachelor's degree in electrical or mechanical engineering.
You will be on call 24/7 for emergencies, although many issues can be handled from your home. There will be long hours on occasion; in return, we'll be flexible as you balance work and external interests.
This is a hands-on leadership role, and you'll need to be able to lift and handle up to 50 pounds, work under raised data center floors, and climb ladders up to 16 feet.Pictured: Our Austin Data Center is trusted by companies across the country for everything from disaster recovery in global finance to high performance computing for the Internet of Things.
Associated topics: adapter, circuit, electrician, energy, image processing, power, renewable, rf, stationary engineer, transmission