Inspects ongoing construction projects and assures work is completed according to set plans and specifications.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of street paving materials and techniques.
* Knowledge of basic mathematics.
* Knowledge of the principles and methods of administration, organization, and inspection.
* Ability to follow Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) regulations.
* Ability to make accurate and timely decisions.
* Ability to interpret and implement federal, state, and local policies.
* Ability to understand Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans, guidelines and regulations.
* Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
* Ability to follow written instructions.
* Ability to use calculators, computers, and general office equipment.
* Ability to plan, direct, and coordinate the work of subordinates is desirable.
* Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good driving record.
* Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with other employees and respond to general public complaints.
* Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing in the English language.
* Required to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and procedures.
* Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside an office. Work may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions and outdoor elements, such as: excessive dampness, chill, heat, humidity, intermittent noise, and inclement cold weather. Work may be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions, such as: dry atmosphere, solvents, dirt, grease, oils, dust, constant noise, pneumatic vibration, radiant/electrical energy, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working closely with others or alone, working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective devices, working on ladders or scaffolding, working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines with moving parts and objects, working with hands in water, and traveling by car 75% of the time. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, office equipment, and mechanical equipment; Work requires light to moderate carrying and occasional lifting (under 15 pounds up to 50), straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching, crawling, twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Inspects water line installations, fittings, fire hydrants, valves, services, etc.
* Inspects materials in accordance with City's Ordinance specifications, which includes: line alignments, backfill materials, and testing.
* Inspects thrust blocks, pipe restraints as per plans and specifications, conducts tests, and generates reports.
* Inspects concrete and asphalt for correct alignment and grade; monitors soil samples.
* Inspects sidewalks, valley gutters, driveways, curbs and gutters; assures poured concrete complies to moisture/density requirements; examines forms and reinforced steel.
* Inspects storm sewers, installations of pipes, junction boxes, manholes, and out-fall facilities.
* Inspects sanitary sewer alignment, grades, main lift stations, manhole installations, inspects materials to be in accordance to City specifications, backfill materials, conducts testing, and generates reports.
* Maintains daily logs for each project and monitors inspections.
* Inspects stormwater pollution prevention improvements, best management practices, and helps manage stormwater pollution prevention manuals. Prepares all reports required.
* Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business use.
* Performs other duties as required.
Bachelors of Science degree from an accredited college or university in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering, or related field.
Associate's degree of Arts from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering Technology or related field.
At least one and a half (1?) years of construction experience.
High School Diploma or G.E.D.
At least three (3) years of construction experience.
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
* If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered employment.
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to employment.
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human Resources Department at (956) ###-#### two days prior to the scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
\"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT.\"
Associated topics: civil engineer, civil structural engineer, compute, development, draw, material, model, structural engineer, structure, water resource